THE INSTITUTE OF MANAGERS AND LEADERS’ FIRST BOOK TACKLES THE LEADERSHIP GRUNT RATHER THAN THE LEADERSHIP GUILT
Leadership Matters: 7 skills of very successful leaders, a new book launched today featuring interviews from well-known powerhouses, including Qantas CEO Alan Joyce AC, Nobel Peace Prize recipient Kailash Satyarthi and Hewlett-Packard India Managing Director Neelam Dhawan, uncovers the top traits to becoming a successful leader.
Drawing on feedback from the management community, the book from the 76-year-old Institute of Managers and Leaders (formerly Australian Institute of Management), is a guide to business success shaped by leadership in practice rather than theory. With the vast majority of today’s thinking around the topic of leadership focused on inspiration, today’s managers know they want to be good leaders, but are poorly equipped with how to be good leaders.
The Institute identified the seven skills essential to becoming a well-respected manager, with experts from globally celebrated organisations providing their tips on the identified skills:
- Setting Strategy – by David Pich FIML, Chief Executive of IML
- Defining Culture – by Jerome Parisse-Brassens MIML, Regional Director (Asia Pacific) of Walking the Talk
- Leading People – by Elaine Jobson FIML, CEO of Jetts Group
- Making Decisions – by Kristen Hansen, Director of EnHansen Performance
- Ethical Leadership – by Professor Robert Wood, Director at the Centre of Ethical Leadership; and Melissa Wheeler, Research Manager at the Centre of Ethical Leadership
- Inclusion Matters – by Kirsten Lees AFIML, Principal at Think First; and Ann Messenger FIML, Chair of the Institute of Managers and Leaders
- Networking is working – by Margot Smith FIML, GM of Membership – Strategy and Engagement at the Institute of Managers and Leaders
David Pich, Chief Executive of the Institute of Managers and Leaders said sound leadership is not exclusive to places like Silicon Valley in the US; places that many leadership books are currently focusing on exclusively.
“Leadership matters just as much in India and in China – and of course in Australia. In fact, in many ways it is these current and future powerhouse economies that the impact of leadership and of leaders will become increasingly important.”
Elaine Jobson, CEO of iconic Australian fitness brand Jetts Group, and guest author on ‘Leading People’ said leadership success is reliant on culture as much as financial performance.
“All too often, leaders try and shift the culture of the people by doing cool stuff like putting in football tables or casual dress Fridays, but unless you take care of the basics these other strategies will never get traction.”
Co-authored by the Institute’s Chief Executive David Pich, and Chair of the Board Ann Messenger, Leadership Matters: 7 skills of very successful leaders is available at all major bookstores, at https://managersandleaders.com.au/lm7book, and also as an eBook on Amazon and iBooks. Copies of the book are available for review upon request.
– ENDS –
Notes to the editor:
Please refer to the accompanying PDF for excerpts from the book written by David Pich, Elaine Jobson and featuring Alan Joyce.
For media enquiries, contact
Whitney Duan, Media & Communications Manager
0417 284 411 | firstname.lastname@example.org